Sunday, August 16, 2009

5K race day

Well Aug. 9th was my 5k walk race day. I had a goal of doing it in 45min. I knew in reality that was pretty much impossible for me to reach that goal without running. I started out running until I got tried and then figured I wouldn't walk again. At the 2k mark I realized if I was going to make my goal I was going to have to run at least part of the race. I decided I would run 30 seconds and walk for 3 minutes. Well I am pretty darn sure there is a time when I would have found that hard but it was pretty easy!! I was sooo happy. I could easily run for 1 min at a time but I didn't want to push it too hard to usually I stuck to my plan. A few times I went over. At the 4k mark I realized I wasn't going to make my time but I wanted to go for under 50min, I ran the last little bit as much as I could and I made it in 253rd place (our of 310) with a time of 51:27:18. I didn't make my goal but it's partly because I didn't really plan it right. Next time I will have to be a) more realistic about what a walk goal time is for me and b) run from the beginning instead of pushing it so much at the end. When I got to the finish line I had been running hard and long enough that I didn't feel well... I knew i had pushed it too hard.

I had to do a training walk that day and really wanted to do about 7k so after the race I kept walking another 2k to my friends house at a moderate pace. I admit it, I was sore after. I don't want to admit it but it's true. My hips were bugging me. I'll have to work on them and get them stronger. I am pretty happy my running didn't seem to bother my calves though as they have been a major issue for me.

So the future goals are a 10k race with Anita on Sept. 19th and a HALF MARATHON walk on Nov. 15th here in Calgary!!! I am so excited. The race is called The Last Chance Half and I contacted the organizer and she said I am welcome to start early if I think I will take more than 3.5 hours. I really want to only take 3.5 hours but I don't want to stress about it so I think I will start early so I don't feel rushed. When I feel rushed my muscles get tight and then I hurt more during and after my walks. I am so pumped and I totally know this is good training for my run next year in Iceland. I really want to run next year so I think it's good to do these walks this year.

Oh and more good news... I have gone down another pant size AND I tried on a strapless dress i wore to a wedding in June 2008 and I can pull it off - zipped up! MY CLOTHES IS FALLING OFF!!! YAYAYAY!!!! Just wanted to share!

Talk to you soon,

jocelyn

2 comments:

  1. 253 812 Jocelyn BOISSONNEAULT Calgary AB 51:27.5 10:18 min k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Jocelyn!

    I'm so impressed with your progress, you should be SO proud. I can't believe you're doing a Half Marathon this November! That is incredible. And how smart are you for asking to start early?? GREAT idea. I walked a half marathon with my mom several years ago, and all I remember is the 70 year old woman who was in front of me...SIGH. That will be such an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete